Friday, January 28, 2011

Being an Amateur

Yesterday I was reading "A Parenting Manifesto of Joy" by Ann Voskamp.  I printed out her page of "10 Points of Joyful Parenting" and read it while I sat at the table with our youngest, who was doing his math.


Distracted (of course), he asked me what I was reading.  I told him, "Things that will help me be a better mommy."
     "Why do you need to read that?"  Encouraging.
     He asked, picking a random number, "What's number three?"
     I quoted, "Today I will not have any emergencies. There are no emergencies. Only amateurs hurry."
     "What's an amateur?"
     "Someone who doesn't do their job really, really well, or who still has a lot to learn and practice."
      Then, thinking of other meanings, began to explain it from a different angle.  He interrupted, "Then I guess you are still an amateur."  Not so encouraging.

Later, I looked up amateur in the dictionary: #1, a person who engages in some art, science, sport etc. for the pleasure of it rather than for money...

That would be me, an amateur mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment