Friday, October 14, 2011

Multiplying Busy Lizzie

Flowers that self-sow or are easily reproduced are some of my favorites. Inexpensive, and practical. One purchased pot can lead to multiplied more. An investment of sorts.
This impatien, given to me for Mother's Day, has bloomed non-stop since May. As an example of my terrible pruning habits, here is evidence in its leggy looks.

I pruned about half the branches back, not wanting to completely remove all the blooms. I know, hopeless.

I stuck the branches in water, keeping it full. This way, I could enjoy the cut blooms inside, and wait until the little roots appeared on the stems. Maybe not so hopeless.

Two weeks later, they are ready to go into their new pot, the tiny white roots beginning to grow.

Gently tucked in and watered abundantly...

Snug in their new home, ready to grow and bloom.

Impatiens are called busy lizzies for their reputation for self-sowing and easy rooting abilities. These, a red variety, have spread into three different pots, one on the other side of the patio, all by themselves, no help from me.

 I like them in this shoe pot. Reminds me of the rhyme, "There was an old woman who lived in a shoe, she had so many children she didn't know what to do..."
Busy Lizzies are a half-hardy annual. They prefer shade, but appreciate some sun as long as it isn't hot afternoon sun. If pinched back (I know, preaching to myself here), they will bloom continuously for many months, coloring the garden with almost neon pink, purple, white, salmon and red. In cold climates they can be brought indoors in the winter, (although watch for mites and aphids) and their color appreciated all year.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you - having luck with impatience - I tend to do the leggy prune with everything and then - yuck! So, I leave them to themselves. Oh - for a green thumb!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete