Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's Not Temporary. It's Today.

Far too easily, I fall into the trap of temporary thinking. I can't do [that] project until [this] is done. [That] isn't worth doing now, because we're going to move soon. Waiting until [this] to do [that]. Instead, I should think, what can I do today? What is worth doing today? What should be dealt with today?

Part of my traveling lighter mantra is to put a priority on today's work. Not to regurgitate regrets of the past (I know, disgusting, but it does fit the picture), or anticipate the weighted worries of the future. What is available to work with today? What can I do, with what I have, here, today?

 In reality, all of it is temporary anyway. This morning, I read, "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." (Proverbs 27:1) We have all had days like that - surprises, both good and bad, that sneak up on us. This little piece of time called Today. This day. There is value in the little bit we can do today.

Perhaps it is exercise. I'll wait until the weather cools, or it stops raining, or I get more sleep, or I buy new walking shoes...what would you say?


In the garden, I'll wait until we move to plant those seeds, because if I plant them now I won't see them grow. But someone else could enjoy them. I'll wait until I have spending money to buy those potted plants, when I could plant the seeds I have.

When I think of decorating, it doesn't make sense to buy stuff we'll just have to move soon. But, using what I have, what changes can I make that will be more efficient, more effective, prettier? I love the William Morris quote:
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."
With organizing, if I wait until The Perfect Organizing Day, it will never come. But, if I work at little areas, a little at a time, it will get done.

Or, the fun outings with the kids. Maybe we should go to the park in rain. Maybe we should brave the traffic and go to the beach. Maybe we should sit down in the afternoon and play the games that sit in the cupboard. Why do I wait for tomorrow? We should play today.

Perhaps temporary thinking is kind of an escape valve. We can avoid the reality of today if we think of it as temporary. I'm with the kids all day long, I need time to myself. This mess won't be here forever (it will miraculously disappear?). Finishing that pillowcase cover isn't a big deal. It's the wrong season to plant stuff anyway. What I do today toward my health won't make that big of a difference.
Yes, life is temporary. This house is temporary. Today is what I have, for now.

It is not temporary. It is today. We have today. The question, 
"What will we do with it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment