Monday, February 7, 2011

House-Building Business

I am a homemaker, or another way of putting it, I am in the house-building business.

I was recently reading in Proverbs 14:1, "A wise woman builds her house, but a foolish woman tears it down with her hands."  I've read that verse plenty of times, but hadn't thought of it in that light before.  I am building my house. 
With what?  Not wood and stone and plaster and pipes, but with attitudes and memories and time. I'm building it with good food and memories created together and teaching as we go through the days.  The four walls we live in aren't what give us our home. The walls and location will change from house to house. It is the people: being together, spending time, working and playing and learning and laughing and sometimes fighting, and growing and changing.  The walls of our family are made of love, imperfect as it may be, and security amidst all of life's changes.  Those qualities are where my time is invested the most, attempting to earn the dividends of increased strength and valuable life-skills within each of them individually. As a house is constructed of many different materials, our home is built with a wide variety of individuals, each contributing their own unique characters, each contributing to the house that is our family.
So, next time someone asks me what I do, I am in the construction business, building our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment