Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tangled Webs

Don't you dislike it in the morning when you walk outside and are snagged in some spider's intricately woven web? To you, it's an uncomfortable, sticky nuisance. To them, you have just destroyed their carefully constructed means of survival. It probably took them all night.




"Oh what a tangled web we weave,
when first we practice to deceive."
--Sir Walter Scott

It amazes me as I watch in movies, or read in stories, as the characters complicate their lives by  leaving out details, or by being afraid to speak up. Why doesn't she just tell him the truth?

It's easy from the outside looking in to see what the character should do or say. Kind of like hindsight.

I consider myself an honest person. Yet, I do this:
"How are you?"
"Fine." (When I am really upset)

"What's wrong?"
"Nothing." (When of course, there is)
I am trying to be more open, not so reticent. To not be tangled in silent complications.
Do you have trouble with this, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment