Friday, February 17, 2012

My Current Favorite Breakfast

Chocolate Oatmeal, a recipe adapted from the Flat Belly Diet, is my current favorite breakfast. Those of you who know me at all know I am a huge fan of chocolate. What better way to start the day? And fortunately, chocolate is a wise food choice (not in the quantities I would prefer to eat, unfortunately) for its monounsaturated fat.

I don't make it exactly as the book's recipe, but I adapted it, adding a little bit of milk to add creaminess. Usually, I cook it in the microwave for quick-and-easy, but cooked it on the stove top for the photo.

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup 2 % milk
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
pinch of salt

Cook, 1:25 in the microwave. Or simmer on the stove, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Stir in 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips.
The pepper gives it a unique rich flavor, and the chocolate - well, it's chocolate. What more can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment