Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Discouragement vs Encouragement

Empty of courage, or filled with courage.  Isn't that what discouragement is, empty of courage, lacking courage; and encouragement is in-courage, or filled with forward-looking hope?
Our daughter shared a good quote with me:
"People often say that motivation
doesn't last.  Well, neither does bathing -
that's why we recommend it daily."

              - Zig Ziglar

Today, I could use a good dose of courage, of motivation, of forward-looking hope. Discouragement seems to settle in every so often, hovering around me like a cloud of annoying, pesky, buzzing flies.  Why don't they just go away and leave me alone?  If I move to a different chair on the patio, they follow me.  Seems no matter what I do, discouragement follows me around.  I can't do enough, be in all the places I want to be at the same time, get it all done in one day, be everything to everyone, please everyone at once.

Today's dose of motivation:
Eat lightly, plan ahead what I will eat for the next small meal, look forward to it
Go for a walk
Keep busy while I'm waiting for our daughter's text to say she made the next flight
Put away ten items on my desk (yes, it's a mess again)
Finish my devotional reading (got distracted)
Write more in my 1,000 gifts list - find the beauty, the comfort, the hope around me
Enjoy extra time with the boys today
Look forward to an evening with my husband
Relax, and smile, be encouraged, tackle the day in courage, with peace
And, take a shower

2 comments:

  1. I sure hear you on this one, Maureen! Looks like you've given yourself a great list of motivators. That's actually a good idea...to take some time when you've lost your mo-jo and make a list. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good at keeping up with the comments, Brooke, thank you!
    Making a list helps me to focus on what I CAN do, rather than wallowing in all that isn't getting done. The relief of finding a few small things to do gets me going again. At least, it gives me a starting point out of the doldrums.

    ReplyDelete